Open source, laser cut, maps Workshop - March 9th, 2015

Continuing the discussion from 2015 classes and workshops:

Why:
@miststlkr followed up with his promise to do a workshop on Papercraft for rapid prototyping workshop 2 its only fair that I do one of his requested workshops. Workshop laser cut maps using open data.

What:

In this workshop we will be making a the files (SVG) to create a laser cut wooden map from open data. We will be following an updated version of this (award winning) instructable I created last year

I will describe where and how to get open data archives, what you can do with these archives, what kind of data is available, and how to convert the data into useful formats that are not provided. I will also be going through the basics of mapbox while converting shapefiles to svg files. We will then use inkscape to clean up the output from mapbox and prepare the files for a laser cutter.

We will NOT be cutting the maps on VHS’s laser cutter. We will be generating the files needed for the laser cutter. These files can be use to make your own wooden map on VHS’s laser cutter or from a 3rd party like Laser cutting company. Free quote in secs. Delivery same day or makerlabs

Please install the following software before the workshop.

Remember to bring your own laptop*
I am a windows guy, I will do my best to help people on other OS’s but if you can install a VM with windows on it to make things easier.

Where:
Vancouver hackspace, 1715 Cook street.

When
Monday, March 9th, 2015 @7:30pm till 10ish

Who:
Limit of ~10 VHS members only
RSVP here Open source, laser cut, maps Workshop Tickets, Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 7:30 PM | Eventbrite

You do NOT require laser training to do this workshop.
A spot has already been reserved for @miststlkr

3 Likes

Thank you for doing this one! I understand that the process will be the same regardless of the location being mapped, but are we choosing our own locations to map or are we all mapping the same area to facilitate trouble-shooting?

@Neo might be interested in this

2 Likes

I certainly am. Nice map Funvill, you can use it for block printing.

One common open data format is ESRI shapefile. If we are using it, you may consider free ArcExplorer program, which comes with many features such as north arrows and scale bars and text editing and is good for working off-line. ArcExplorer Java Edition for Education, which is an older version is what, I recommend.

You can choose any location that has open data shape files for it.

@pesk might also be interested.

1 Like

Weekend laser class

I really want to attend the laser class so I can make my own map of
strathcona, mount pleasant to give as gift.

I am only in Vancouver on weekends.

@tdwebste - still no laser, man… relax… we all want it running.

2 Likes

I’m totally down for laser cutting some maps! I could see doing that to make some fun D&D prop maps.

1 Like

7 tickets still remaining.
If I don’t fill up by thursday I will open it to non VHS members as well.

Only 4 tickets left !
One more day!

Hope you are ready to get your map on